What is the one miracle that undeniably proves divinity? The ability to accurately predict the future. As you read Isa. 53, keep in mind that this prophecy about Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, was written over 600 years before He came to this earth. This accurate prediction of the brutal suffering and death of the Messiah proves that the Bible was written by God:
- Messiah would be so brutally beaten that one could barely tell He was human (Isa. 52:14).
- The Savior would be despised and rejected by men (Isa. 53:3,4).
- Messiah would be beaten and wounded by men to pay the price for our sins (vv. 5,6).
- The Savior would not open His mouth when He was accused (v. 7).
- Messiah would be imprisoned (v. 8).
- The Savior would be killed with criminals but buried in a rich man’s grave (v. 9).
- The Messiah would have no deceit in His mouth (v. 9).
Isaiah concludes this amazing description of a murdered Messiah with this stunning sentence, “Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief” (v. 10). It was God who crushed His only Son on our behalf (v. 12). When God looked at the cross, He saw you. Now, when God looks at you, He sees Jesus.
This prophecy alone should convince anyone that the Bible is supernatural.
Adapted from Don’t Stub Your Toe. By Todd Friel
Surely He has borne our griefs
And carried our sorrows;
Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
Smitten by God, and afflicted.