By Stuart Scott
Men love to hear about the lovingkindness of God, but rarely acknowledge His abhorrence (hatred) of evildoers. Although it is only natural to want to hear the pleasant and avoid the offensive, Scripture does not give us that option. Being made to realize our guilt is very uncomfortable, but is necessary for repentance and the ultimate comfort of salvation.
The truth is that while God is love, He is also just and holy. Love and holiness, by their nature, are the opposites of evil. It makes sense then that by His nature, God hates evil. Since evil is what men do, and you cannot separate evil from the doer, we must conclude that God hates all those who do evil. As the following Scriptures bear out, God, in the strongest terms, “is angry with the wicked every day” (Psa. 7:11).
God hates the following:
- All workers of iniquity: Psa. 5:5
- The wicked and the violent: Psa. 11:5
- A proud look: Prov. 6:17
- A lying tongue: Prov. 6:17
- Hands that shed innocent blood (abortion?): Prov. 6:17
- Hearts that devise wicked plans: Prov. 6:18
- Feet that run to evil: Prov. 6:18
- A false witness who lies: Prov. 6:19
- Those who sow discord among brethren: Prov. 6:19
- Pride and arrogance: Prov. 8:13
- The evil way: Prov. 8:13
- A perverse mouth: Prov. 8:13
- Those who commit idolatry by worshiping and serving other gods: Jer. 44:3,4
- His own people the Israelites (spoken of as His own sons and daughters) because of their evil deeds: Hos. 9:15
- Those who think evil in their heart: Zech. 8:17
- Those who make false promises: Zech. 8:17
- Divorce: Mal. 2:16
- The deeds and doctrines of the Nicolaitans: Rev. 2:6,15
God abhors those who do these things:
- Sacrifice their children to idols: Lev. 20:2 (also Deut. 12:31)
- Stand by and turn a blind eye to evildoers: Lev. 20:4,5
- Turn to mediums and familiar spirits: Lev. 20:6
- Curse their father or mother: Lev. 20:9
- Commit sexual sins (adultery, incest, homosexuality, bestiality): Lev. 20:10–21
God instructs us to hate the evil and cling to the good:
- The fear of the Lord is to hate evil (Prov. 8:13).
- Hate the evil, and love the good (Amos 5:15).
- Abhor what is evil, cling to what is good (Rom. 12:9).
- God anointed Jesus because He hated loved righteousness and hated lawlessness (Heb. 1:9).
Psalm 5:5 The boastful shall not stand in Your sight;
You hate all workers of iniquity.